Sunday, January 10, 2016

What happens now?

In the wake of what's been happening around the world, both domestically and abroad, I wonder what is there that can truly be done. I find myself losing hope that there is any solution to the hurt and anger that drives people to commit such heinous acts of destruction. I think about all the songs that have been written speaking about how the future is something we need to cherish, something that we must protect. There have been so many books written about dystopian societies that resulted from the greed of humanity. Movies made to show that the world does not end because of things like climate disaster or aliens but rather because of our own self-destruction.

Why then are we allowing these atrocities to continue? How can we let the world we need to survive crumble before us? Is there really no hope for our society? We constantly say the children are our future, they will fix the mess. Why are we so comfortable leaving a mess for our children? I am not a parent and that startles me. If I were to have children I would want them to enter into in a world that was full of love, opportunity, hope, and positivity. Don't get me wrong. I understand that difficult and challenging situations are what allow us to grow and develop as people. That is different from bringing up children in a broken world. In a world in which the color of their skin could mean the difference between life or death. In a world where giving their all and trying their best may still not be enough for them to actually make it.

We need to take a long and hard look at what is it that matters to us. What do we want the future to hold? We are living much longer lives as a society and will see more of that distant future than we thought we might. As Eva said (in Evita), "what happens now?...where are we going to?"



No comments:

Post a Comment